Book Review: Soft Target by Stephen Hunter (It SUCKED)
Written by Dan Malone
In all my years of reading, I’ve never seen an author fall so far from grace as I have Stephen Hunter. Hunter wrote one of the best series of books in the original Bob Lee Swagger trilogy. He also had some additionally great books like the Earl Swagger Trilogy, Dirty White Boys and The Day Before Midnight.
All those books are amazing, and at the top of my “if I was stranded on a desert island” book list.
Since then, everything Hunter has put out has been very poor. Then there’s Soft Target, which is utter trash.
I’m not even being over-dramatic here – Soft Target is without a doubt one of the worst books I have ever read in my life. It’s a shame because the premise is GREAT – it’s Black Friday, in Americas shopping mall. Terrorists take it over. What they didn’t count on was elite Marine sniper Ray Cruz being inside.
Amazing premise, right? Yet he managed to butcher it in so many ways. Here’s a quick bullet list that doesn’t even cover the gist of it:
- An incredibly derivative and predictable plot.
- Completely one-dimensional characters.
- Horrendous political agenda, like the idiot police chief known as “Obobo”, whose sole purpose for being in the book was so Hunter could bash Barack Obama for 30 pages.
- Random storylines created and then never mentioned again.
- Insulting, offensive muslim characters.
- Ray Cruz, gun expert, not noticing a CAMERA placed on an AK-74 even though he shows and describes the gun in detail to another character.
This is one of the worst books I ever read. I hope Stephen Hunter has an “accident” like Ol’ Sam Vincent, so we don’t have to read any more of his trash.